Author Topic: Music Monday: Mechanics of a Radio Station at UND  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Music Monday: Mechanics of a Radio Station at UND
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:02:15 AM »
Music Monday:  Mechanics of a Radio Station at UND
by mburtonk

[I wrote this up for the DS, but it's not really appropriate for a staff member to reply directly to a letter to the editor. So I'm posting it here.]

In response to Christopher Gunn's letter in the Dakota Student from last week (which doesn't appear to be online), perhaps some clarification is in order.

I'm at least glad that nobody is expecting me to take the lead in starting up a student-run radio station at UND. I'm busy enough as it is and I’ll be graduating in August. However, I do have some ideas for implementation that I was unable to fit into my last article. I've already mentioned these to the people who have contacted me about starting a station, but the more people who are thinking about the problem, the better.

Full article . . .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:31:10 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: Music Monday: Mechanics of a Radio Station at UND
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
UND Needs a Radio station... I wish I could take my CD's out, my USB Drive out, and my iPod out of my car. But I can't. There is no decent music on the air waves these days. Its the same 20 songs played all through the day.... If i wanted that I would put a damn CD in my car. which I already do. KJ108 is about the only decent station that will have some variance in music. Then again Who knows, I've tried to tune into other stations, Even country and its the same 20 songs throughout the day!! I'm sure they have more music than that... But because of label kick backs and Clear Channel, hell even leighton is getting sucked into it now....

Someone needs to start an HD Station around here also, I go to the cities and it sound GREAT! FM is ok, but lets move with the times... I see leighton finally got RDS, took them long enough. Heck you can't even listen to Clear channel online yet up here... Its suppose to be implemented in another 6 months is what I was told...

I'm a little to jaded as I work in the music biz a little bit... So i have a lot of furstration, and bitterness toward a few big names that ruin it for everyone...

Johnathan

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:06 PM »
Ever heard of KFJM?  90.7? ....  You know, the one with the studio at 314 Cambridge Street, across from the Memorial Union?  I'd ask around there.  I'm thought of doing so myself.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:36:28 AM »
90.7..... the other bane of my life. Its all the boss listens to at work. It killed gnarls barkley before it was on top 40. It killed Plain white T's before it was on Top 40, it killed KT Tungstall before it was on Top 40.

They aren't much better, then they have hours upon hours of "interviews with musicians" that couldn't make it past a 200 seat PAC show if their life depended on it.

IMHO we need something that plays stuff that people listen to now days.... I hate to say it but "Public radio" isn't "College Radio"

we need an actual ROCK station around here. 104.7 the dam was awsome until they decided they needed more country.  Now there's no place to play heavey stuff. No one's playing Rise against, Saves the Day, Hatebreed, Soilwork, etc.

No radio station plays other good Pop/Punk bands like MXPX, New Found Glory, The Rocket Summer, All time Low (Waiting for XL93 to catch on that one) My american Heart, Motion City Soundtrack, The Matches, Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto, NOFX, etc.

Where's the station for the people that want some music that has some heart to it? I'd like to listen to musicians that actually write their own songs thank you very much.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »
A little bit of an update on this:  According to one of the people working on the UND radio station, one idea is to use the new emergency broadcast channel on campus (run by UPD) to run student programming in the times when there aren't any emergencies (which I assume would be most of the time).

Actually having programming might actually make people actually listen to the emergency broadcast frequency.  I think this is a cool idea :thumbsup:!

They haven't gotten a chance to talk to Chief Czapiewski yet to see if this is a viable option.  Hopefully we'll stay informed.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
I've heard nothing since last year (wow, has it been that long?), so I decided to ask Chief Czapiewski myself.  Here is the response:

The University has applied for an FM license.  The FCC is currently reviewing our application but we have no idea when/if we will be awarded the license.  I assume we will get it in the near future but I have no documents to base that belief.

I guess we're waiting on UND getting a license, and then hoping that a student org will get to use it afterward.  Who knows, maybe some of us will still be here when that happens... ;)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
This topic is locked.  You can still comment at http://www.campusdakota.com/node/36

realistic
anything