Author Topic: Board criticizes NDSU, UND for costs related to presidents' homes  (Read 3746 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
UPDATED: Board criticizes NDSU, UND for costs related to presidents' homes
UPDATED 2:05 p.m.
GRAND FORKS, N.D. – State Board of Higher Education members chastised North Dakota State University for its president’s house, which was presented this morning as costing $1.8 million total.

By: Amy Dalrymple, INFORUM

UPDATED 2:05 p.m.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – State Board of Higher Education members chastised North Dakota State University for its president’s house, which was presented this morning as costing $1.8 million total.

Board members delayed acting on the motion to exceed the $900,000 budget, referring the matter to a board subcommittee.

Numbers presented to the board show NDSU spent an additional $370,000 on the project's parking lot, patio, furnishings, appliances, design and site preparation.

That’s on top of the $1.47 million the NDSU Development Foundation spent for building construction.

Board members told NDSU officials they were disappointed the university didn’t come before the board earlier.

“We asked several times if $900,000 was enough and we were told it was enough,” said board President Richie Smith.

The University of North Dakota also received criticism for its president’s house, which cost about $923,000 for building construction.

Furniture, appliances and landscaping cost about $165,000. University funds were used for all but $20,000 of that.

UND also spent nearly $69,000 on costs incurred after the president moved into the house.

That puts the total for UND's house at $1.2 million.

In addition, the UND Foundation spent about $500,000 in site preparation and planning for both the president's house and an Alumni Center project.

The board’s Budget, Audit and Finance Committee will take up both house projects and make a recommendation to the board.

For more on this story, read Friday’s Forum.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/253237/

All I have to say is as a student I am not very happy about this.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Board criticizes NDSU, UND for costs related to presidents' homes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
I don't know where I stand, and I'm not sure why.

Given the choice, I'd rather spend the money on the house of the President than on transitioning to Division I--but both are taking money away that could be used for education.

How energy-friendly are the new homes?  Did they put solar panels on the roofs?  Did they use geothermal heating/cooling systems?  Is there adequate insulation?  Are the houses built to last so they don't need to be torn down in another ten years?  This is all where that money could have gone.

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Board criticizes NDSU, UND for costs related to presidents' homes
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
Im just sick of what seems like spending relatively little money on academics compared to things like this, research, athletics, etc. ... it seems like priorities are off.

And I havent heard too much about that stuff as far as energy-friendly... I dont think they did panels or geothermal or anything.  I am hoping these houses are good for at least 40 years.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic