Author Topic: Fargodome Expansion!  (Read 5034 times)

Offline zman

• NDSU
Fargodome Expansion!
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »
Dome designs revealed
Benny Polacca, The Forum
Published Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fargodome officials are pleased – so far – with a $30 million proposed expansion on the venue’s southeast side.

Members of the Dome Addition Task Force reviewed plans on Tuesday for a 6,000-seat arena that would be added onto the dome, which has a capacity of 18,700.

“I’m satisfied with the design,” said Dome Authority Chairwoman Ryn Pitts. The architects took everything into consideration everything dome wanted them to, such as seating and flexibility to host several events, she said.

Architects with Kansas City, Mo.-based ThreeSixty Architecture have worked on the arena plans since being hired by the city this summer.

Dome officials expect to see more details and a budget on the arena designs and construction later this month, which will help them decide whether to proceed with the project.

Officials plan to use the proposed $30 million arena for North Dakota State Univeristy basketball games. The arena’s expandable event area provides opportunities to host other activities like concerts, basketball camps and trade shows.

The proposed arena – which officials plan to use for events including North Dakota State University basketball games, basketball camps, concerts and exhibition shows – has expandable seating in a horseshoe-shaped pattern.

Fargodome General Manager Rob Sobolik said Tuesday the designs looked nice, but he will have more questions as planning progresses. “At this level of detail, you can’t really get a good feel for everything that’s expected.”

Proposed arena plans call for seating that could accommodate:

E 6,011 for an NDSU Bison basketball game

E 3,613 for a basketball camp that will use three courts

E 6,378 for an end-stage concert.

The event area has 19,446 square feet for exhibition events.

Some of the dome’s southside parking would be eliminated if the addition is built. Pitts said an independent study is under way that will help determine whether the expansion is feasible.

Dome officials could wait to decide how to proceed on parking space issues if the expansion goes forward, Pitts said.

Sobolik said if two sold-out events take place simultaneously in the main dome and arena, there would not be enough parking for spectators. “We might have to get to the point of running shuttles, but that all comes with costs.”

Tom Waggoner of ThreeSixty Architecture said he expects to present the Dome Authority with a final draft of arena designs and a budget of construction costs on Oct. 30.

The arena addition would be paid for with city, NDSU and private funding.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Benny Polacca at (701) 241-550

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:17:32 PM by zman »

Offline zman

• NDSU
Re: Fargodome Expansion!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
While I think it looks sweet, 6000 is way too small.  Also, if they build there then how are they going to expand the Fargodome arena (for Bison Football)... as in in the talks?

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:26 PM »
This has nothing to do with the Fargodome expansion...even though it looks cool!

zman, I couldn't help but notice your enthusiasm for Spongebob Squarepants. Ironically, while playing the game Cranium last weekend I had to draw Spongebob with my eyes closed as one of the team challenges. Needless to say, it was quite difficult and unrecognizable!

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:31:52 PM »
While I think it looks sweet, 6000 is way too small.  Also, if they build there then how are they going to expand the Fargodome arena (for Bison Football)... as in in the talks?

They want this because of the promoters in town asking for something besides playmakers to book shows in.... Its also someplace they can actualy use the PA system they wasted their money on for the Dome.... they have 8 or 10 a side of EAW KF730's that are only good for theatre shows in the dome... throw them into a 6k seating space, and the promoters have a much better location that they can fill the house, the rent will be less, it will be more intimate, and they think they'll be able to make money in house with all the stuff.....

I'd be interested to see how well this will work out.... I think its a little funny... but good for the music scene. They'll be able to get more A level acts in that are switching away from the arena show's back to the smaller venue show's.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything