Author Topic: UND to "save" the Alerus center?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
UND to "save" the Alerus center?
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
So, as UND’s establishes itself in Division I (including renewing its rivalry with NDSU), attendance at home football games should take a very big jump.

Of course, that may create a new set of problems down the road. If the program truly soars, it might outgrow the Alerus Center, prompting UND to think about building a new stadium.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/139065/

It sure is great that UND going Division I is going to save . . . wait, they're telling me that UND is an educational institution--so why are they wasting money on a transition instead of improving academics?

That's my problem right there.  UND should be focusing on attracting students based on how good of a school it is, not how good a football program it has.  Don't even get me started on how the students are being screwed twice for this: first paying tuition that goes toward a Division I transition and second by having to pay to get into their own home games.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: UND to "save" the Alerus center?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »
I like that UND is already suggesting that if the program becomes "big" they'll build a new stadium. I know some pretty serious teams that would LOVE to have a facility as nice as the Alerus center.

Not to mention... in the grand scheme of D1 college football. UND and NDSU suck. Univ at Buffalo is in its 10th(?) season as a D1 football team and barely putting up winning records in the ACC. Hardly getting any bids at big name schools and they have easily double (almost triple) the student body, and haven't had to fight off racism. The bills suck too so its a good ticket. But the Bulls (UB) suck relative to D1 and thus its difficult.

I just hope UND is in it for the long run. They really REALLY are pushing their luck making this jump and hoping it will be profitable in the next decade.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »
Be very weary of the move.  Dont let academics go down the toilet.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
Be very weary of the move.  Dont let academics go down the toilet.

Any ideas how to stop that sort of thing?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
Its very hard.  Schools nationwide are focusing too much on numbers, athletics, money, and notoriety.  Academics are often second thought.

Administration needs to consistently be reminded that students want a focus on academics, maybe even that they dont support the athletics changes.  It has to be drilled in again and again.  This can be done through organizations, rallies, demonstrations, news articles, letters, or just about anything.  Just make sure they hear you and understand that its not just a small group of students that feel this way.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
Just to be clear, I was a four-year varsity athlete in undergrad (that is, all four years I was there), so I'm not against athletics and I think they can have a positive impact on the students involved, however that was DIII and looking at DI is a different story.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Just to be clear, I was a four-year varsity athlete in undergrad (that is, all four years I was there), so I'm not against athletics and I think they can have a positive impact on the students involved, however that was DIII and looking at DI is a different story.

Oh you were one of them ;)

I am kidding.  I am not against athletes.  I just think that all students need to be treated equally and that funds need to be spent in the most appropriate way possible... ensuring the proper education of students.
CampusDakota.com

kuzit

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
 I am also known to be rather flighty and easily distracted.
pass drug urine test
medic alert bracelets

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
ooo... fascinating!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic