Author Topic: Environmental Conservation Organization (ECO) News  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Environmental Conservation Organization (ECO) News
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:25:04 AM »
Since I'm on the email list, I'll keep posting the ECO meeting minutes here as I receive them.  If you are a member of ECO, why not have us create a free group message board for you?

To get involved with ECO, contact [email protected].
ECO MEETING MINUTES:
September 22nd & 29th

Attendance & Introductions: We introduced ourselves and why we are interested in ECO.

ECO History: ECO is a student organization that has been around since the 1990’s and was active in EPA work but has only recently become active again in the last 5 years. It was originally part of the Honors program and welcomes community members as well. There is no few or commitment we just ask interested individuals to invest as much time as they can allow.

Projects: Previous projects include- Hemp Day Awareness Concert, Powershift, Cleaning up the Coulee, Wind Energy on Campus, Powershift, 2XTM support.

**The project we left on last year was putting together a proposal to present to Student Government and also the administration to approve the usage of alternative energy on campus. The proposal is almost finished but needs some amendments and we need to combine forces with other groups with a similar mission.

Ideas: Many ideas for projects were brought up and the assignment was to go home and research what you think ECO could focus on this year.

Powershift: Powershift is an environmental conference that took place last November in Washington D.C. It gathered 4,000 mainly students to engage in dialogue about how we can make green jobs and make congress hear our voice. There were breakout sessions where students could learn how other universities are successfully integrating environmental resources into their campuses. This year they are breaking into regions and Washburn High School in Minneapolis is hosting a Powershift on Oct. 3rd- 5th.  If you want to learn more go to: www.mnpowershift.org

The September 29th meeting was short and sweet. We began to delegate tasks to move forth with the renewable energy proposal:  See attached.

Please choose the open spots or feel free to bring other comments to the next meeting:
-get a list of all student organizations with similar goals- Kari
-contact Ray from the coal plant to get a tour- Sierra
-research $29 million boiler proposal and what we can do- Rachel
-look at our proposal to see where we need to amend- Corey
-contact student government and SIFE to meet- Sierra
-research roof top or vertical axis turbines for UND-
-research solar energy and feasibility at UND-

NEXT MEETING MONDAY OCTOBER 6TH @ 8PM LEADERSHIP ROOM
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:26:51 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Environmental Conservation Organization (ECO) News
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »

ECO MEETING MINUTES
October 6th 2008      8PM

Attendance:

Hot Perks: Grant Marquardt attended the meeting as a representative from SIFE trying to get advice on how to make their coffee stand more environmentally sustainable. If you have any more lingering ideas feel free to email him at [email protected].

Powershift: We had a great time making contacts and learning ways to network at the conference in Minneapolis so the Autobahn society wants to set up conference calls that will occur every other Thursday at 2pm to discuss what is happening collecting throughout the state so we can team up in our efforts.

Renewable energy initiative:  Rachel informed us that the State Board for Higher Education is allocating money for Lake Region College in Devils Lake for renewable energy and Kayleigh said she would see what procedures they went through to get that money. Sierra said she would contact Randy Bowman from the Coal Plant on campus to see if we could get a tour. Also the Senate meetings are Sunday at 6pm in the Union so it would be good to get ECO voices there to get more student support. We still need to get in contact with other student groups and revise the proposal. Corey said he would talk to Altru to see if we could get solar energy in their parking lot.

Recycling project: Robert Deringer asked ECO if he would be able to use our name to rent a state vehicle perhaps on a weekly basis to start a recycling program in downtown residential areas. The group collectively said yes and he plans to begin this week with no cost to ECO. He plans to eventually prove to the city that this program is sustainable and can work curbside.

Coulee project:  Fawn Wasin Zi  informed us that (AISES) American Indian Science & Engineering Society is doing a project of helping clean up the coulee at some point and wanted to know if members would like to join up with them for an afternoon to make it a joint effort. She will give us dates when she finds out.

Topics for next meeting:
-revise proposal
-talk about plans of action
-tour the coal plant
-get feasibility studies done
-follow up with recycling & coulee projects
-talk more about solar energy and possible projects
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:27:16 AM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »

I am forwarding you all to this because I think we should at least have 1 ECO representative and I have class at 2pm today.

Also, there is a Green Grand Forks meeting tonight at 6pm in City Hall Rm A101. I and several other members will attend, please come if you are interested in participating with the community.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone, and thank you for considering becoming a part of the ND Climate Coalition!

Just a reminder to everyone that the ND Climate Coalition call is tomorrow, Thursday at 2pm Central Time.  The call in number and outlined agenda are below.  The organizations involved and invited to join the coalition include: 

-Farmer's Union,
-Neighborhoods United,
-Northern Plains Sustainable Ag Society,
-National Wildlife Federation
-Sierra Club,
-Audubon Dakota,
-Dakota Resource Council,
-Prairie Climate Stewardship Network,
-Steger Foundation,
-Environmental Conservation Organization (UND),
-Student Environmental Action Coalition (NDSU),
-The Dakota Foundation
-PEW, and the
-North Dakota Alliance for Renewable Energy.

Attached and on the Google Document Wiki (link in separate email) is the updated outlined action plan for the climate coalition.  It includes input from Audubon Dakota and NWF.  To add your input please email [email protected], or call me at number(s) provided in the signature.  Please take a look at the action plan before the call and think of what your organizations bring to the table contributing to the ND Climate Coalition. 

Dial-in number: 888-387-8686; ID: 2121362

Agenda Outline:

2 pm: Welcome
2:05: Introductions from each organization: Brief overview of your organization's mission and current main project(s) (2 min per organization)
2:25: Outline of individual organization actions underway, decipher overlapping projects. Go over the action plan, input from all organizations
                       -Goals             
                       -Existing Strategies
                       -Possible Message board for upcoming events
2:45:Go over the action plan, input from all organizations
                       -Goals             
                       -Existing Strategies
                       -Possible Message board for upcoming events
2:55: Closing
                       -Send input on action plan to [email protected]
                      -Set up next call-in date
                      -Follow up with each representative in the coming week
- -
Chelsea Hummon
Audubon Dakota,
State Outreach Coordinator

[email protected]
Cell:248-709-0451 Office: 701-298-3373
www.audubon.org

Hey everyone,

MEETING REMINDER!! Monday Oct. 20th at 8pm in the Leadership room. Attendance is important because we have assignments we've received and the more the quicker things get done :)

**Phil Gerla from the Geology department will be attending because he wants to explain his project to us and see if we can help.

** Green Grand Forks has asked ECO to manage electronic communications for the group and will we look at which actions ECO can take on.

**Talk about what ND will do as a whole for projects as part of the ND Coalition

** Last thing-check out this message board at campus dakota. Matthew Burton-Kelly has been posting our meeting minutes and it's pretty cool so spread the word.

http://talk.campusdakota.com

Sierra~~
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:34:44 AM by Sal Atticum »

Offline News & Event Bot

• CD Team
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
Hey ECO friends!!
   Meeting reminder for this Monday October 27th at 8PM in the Leadership Room!

We will be discussing the Renewable Energy Proposal so please read through if you have time and we will be revising it. So bring laptop if you have one.

We will also look into student fees to see how much students are paying in energy costs and what the cost is for renewables.

Also, we will be discussing some collaborative ideas with some SDS folks on some workshop ideas.

Last thing if you haven't taken this survey to inventory our greenhouse gas emissions please do!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Y3f8hFEEWTBiWlIbtBhi_2bg_3d_3d

Thanks and see you Monday!
Sierra

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:40:39 PM »
ECO MEETING MONDAY @ 8PM LEADERSHIP RM> IN THE UNION

We will be discussing--

-"Green Fees" & or the Renewable energy proposal

-Powershift 2009

-Nutrition & healthier foods in public school systems

-Presidents climate commitment

-Prepare goals & timeline!!

-Recycling update

See you all tomorrow :)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
MEETING REMINDER! Please come and contribute to the ECO meeting tomorrow at 8pm in the Leadership room in the Union. We will discuss our plan of action for the remainder of the semester and how to market ourselves around campus. We welcome all environmentally related ideas!!

See you torrow :)

Sierra

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything