Author Topic: Group Rides: FALL 2010  (Read 64669 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Group Rides: FALL 2010
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »
As all good things must come to an end, so does summer break.  I introduce to you the Fall 2010 ride topic; as always, please read, think, and click on the answer.

Official Group Rides: Fall 2010

- All rides leave from Memorial Union, UND Campus, including travel to Turtle River SP for MTB.
- Helmets are required
- When posting, include date, time, expected route/length/duration (or TBD) and type of ride (road, mountain, around town, urban assault, hub, etc.).  Since some people don't have time to watch this thread all day, please try to have the time worked out before you post up.
- Anyone can post a ride.  This means you!

Terminology:
- No drop: the whole group rides as slow as the slowest rider.  Focus is on camaraderie and group skills (pacelines, rotations, three-man drops, etc.).  Applied to road rides.
- Around town: group ride on whatever bike you happen to feel like riding.  Focus is on exploration, hanging out, and usually finding something to eat.
- Training (or "not a no drop"): Road ride at an accelerated pace dictated by how the group is feeling or a training schedule.  If you can't keep up, you will get dropped off the back and may have to ride home alone (although we try to avoid these things).  Focus is on replicating harder race-pace efforts.
- Urban assault: Some people like to huck off of things; this type of ride is for them.  Focus is on hucking off of things.
- Helmet: that thing you wear on your head when you ride with UNDCC.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:00:51 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Group Rides: FALL 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
I also want to add, I talk to LOTS of people who seem to think that they "don't have the right bike" for a particular ride.

I wouldn't really worry too much about that. Our goal is to get you riding. If someone posts a no-drop ride and you want to show up on your cruiser/trackbike/fixed gear/hybrid/whatever, please do. If you have a helmet and a bike, you can ride. Now... we'll be realistic with you, if you're showing up on a bike that either isn't safe or is largely inappropriate for the type of ride the group will be doing, we'll tell you that...

*** BUT we'll ALSO give you tips/pointers/coupons/deals for stuff to get ur bike into shape!***

Some of us are very experienced mechanics and may even be able to fix something RIGHT THERE! Now hows THAT for service! If not, most of us are willing to take an hour or two to help you wrench on your stuff to get it right (and safe)

If it's just the wrong type of bike, that isn't a problem either. We'll perhaps suggest a route that you're able to ride part of it with us, and then the group may ride the rest and if you get dropped you get dropped, maybe someone will HAVE a bike for sale or to borrow so that you CAN come and ride with us, or maybe we'll suggest when you should come check out a particular ride that is suited specifically to your bicycle!

Bottom line... we aren't haters. Just come and ride.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »
Lads... I know this is VERY short notice. I am officially done with airplane nonsense. Ride leaving from the Union at about 4pm. 8/20

We'll hang out for a few extra mins. Prolly just do a Merrifield and it will be a No-Drop... SLOW Road Ride.

Questions... feel free to ring me or beek!

PEACE!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:11:58 PM »
No Drop ride leaving from the Union at about 430-445. This will be a SLOW road ride again. Bring water... dishsoap is not necessary.

Anyone riding please use EXTREME caution riding on/around campus. With people moving into the dorms there is quite alot of "not following" the traffic laws... watch for doors and people excited about moving into a dorm... for some reason...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:13:20 PM by Plantains »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
Weren't you just telling me how excited you were to move into the dorms when you first got here? :mystery:

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
No... I wasn't excited at all... the only reason I was even considering dorms was to get a cheap ass UND apt...

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
who can ride today around 3:00? I'm thinking a chill Merrifield loop
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
Go take down green paper from AC

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
Logan and I are going to get green things now. Might be at a group ride at 3 (personally I doubt it since I've not been able to ride the entire alleycat course in under 3 hours ever).

If people are still interested, we encourage interest. Sanders... take this over or something.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
i wouldn't be able to go until maybe later...about 6
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
No drop (easy) Group Ride Tomorrow (sept. 1st) at 5:00!

:undcc:

Meet at the union
Helmets required
bring a spare tube if you have one just in case

:bananas:

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
Notify Ted and or Beek as I've mentioned it was 530 to them.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
c u there. and dave I am planning on paying you back w/ a tube and a C02 cartridge
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline gyudon

• UND
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:06 PM »
Hi im new in town
anybody thinking or want to ride over labor weekend where i can join?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:22 AM »
Hi gyudon, welcome to Grand Forks!

I think a lot of people will be participating in or volunteering for END-AR this Saturday, so I'm not sure how many riders you can find for that day...

BUT--the best way to find people to ride with is to post up that you are riding on day X, at time Y, leaving from place Z (usually people leave from the UND union).  You don't need to wait for any sort of "official" announcement from the club.  After you post, people will usually pop out of the woodwork to say they can show up at that time or not.

Personally, I'll probably be available to ride Sunday or Monday afternoon but I may be interested in mountain biking more than road.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
ride is still on, there looks to be some precip coming...bring rain gear if you have some...no ride if its thunderstorming.

If you are a newer guy and don't want to ride in the rain thats fine to there will be plenty more rides

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
ride 5:00 from union- easy no drop ride... bring helmet about 21 mile ride

Offline Plantains

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Sanders. I will be there.

For those who are curious, you'll want some cold weather stuff perhaps. 60 degrees is pretty cold on the bike, primarily ur feet. Wear a heavier sock, and if people don't have cycling cold weather gear... we won't make fun of you for showing up in a hoodie or something.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
Sorry for the late notice, but I will be heading out for a road ride today from the Union at 5:05 PM.  Wear warm clothes and lights if you have them.  We'll go as fast as people want to go, since I'll probably be the slowest rider.

Today looked a lot better than yesterday in terms or precip, but it still might rain a bit.  Show up anyway if you're in the area around then and we can talk about bikes or something if we can't ride.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
Lads... I'm planning a MOUNTAIN BIKE ride (bring anything really... well with tires 28c minimum is prolly safe) at Turtle River.

The ride will be Sunday Morning because I enjoy freezing my ass off. Hopefully the trails will dry out by then, but if not then the ride WILL BE POSTPONED. I DO NOT have any intentions of causing undue trail damage.

The time is TBA but Expect an 8-9am departure from the Union. Car space is limited. Ask questions and BRING TUBES!

Where: Turtle River
What: Chill (as if there's any other type of MTB) MTB ridin.
When: SUNDAY
Time: TBA
Meet at: Union (expect between 8-9)

Helmets required.

If you did not receive an email for this please subscribe to this thread. If you would like to receive the TEXT included IN that email please follow the steps here: http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?topic=5308
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:56:20 PM by Plantains »

realistic